In conversation with Assam's fervent and resolute State Cricketer, Tarjinder Singh

Kaustab Chakraborty speaks to Assam’s fervent and resolute State Cricketer, Tarjinder Singh and the interesting course of events that made him a hard hitting sportsman of the state team.






He’s a Punjab da puttar having roots in Assam and after completing his 10th standard exams, his inextricable bond with North East brought Tarjinder back to Guwahati city.
His father had established business here which made him come to the city to spend his vacations. But who would have thought that young lad would one day turn out to be one of the most consistent players for the Assam Cricket team? Performing unyieldingly well on behalf of the State team, Tarjinder today is a force to be reckoned with.

Recalling his initial days in Guwahati, Tarjinder says, “I would come to Guwahati to meet my parents and spend the holidays out here. But my Dad used to be busy in his business related work and I didn’t know anybody out here as all my friends were in Punjab. One day, I saw few kids playing cricket in the City Cricket Coaching Club (CCCC), Dispur and asked my Dad to buy me a kit so that I could kill my boredom and go out and play.”

“During the two months of practice at CCCC I made many new friends. I even met Gokul, my fellow teammate, there itself. And I decided to stay back. Later, I took admission in Gauhati Commerce College. I got selected to play National school games and represent Assam and the very next year, I got a call for Assam-19 Ranji Squad,” he further adds.

“In India, everybody follows cricket like a religion and I have been a huge fan of the sport too but I never thought that I would one day be a professional cricketer. It was like a dream come true when I got the call for the state team. It was an amazing feeling which cannot be described in words; how incredible it feels to be part of the state cricket team. The first match, first first-class Hundred, first wicket; thinking about it all now gives me goosebumps,” expresses Tarjinder.

Having played around 50 first-class matches for Assam, Tarjinder has consistently been part of the team for last 11 years. Tarjinder Singh was also the top run scorer for Assam in this Ranji Season. Popularly known for his jolly and lively nature as “Happy” in the team, this swashbuckling batsman also proves to be handy with a ball in hand. This year, Tarjinder has been part of the Assam team that won 6 out of 8 matches in their group stage before crashing out of the Ranji tournament against Karnataka in the Quarterfinals.

Talking about the facilities and upcoming talent in the state, Tarjinder say, “Weather is one of the prime factors out here, especially the rainy season. It troubles the players in their individual practice as well as the pitch curators for preparing the pitch. Assam Cricket Association is doing a commendable job and I feel school cricket should be given more importance and 3-4 days long matches should be included in school tournaments also.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assam's 1st Paintball Arena: Ranghar

In Conversation with National School of Drama trained actor Boloram Das from Assam

In Conversation with Ace Cinematographer from Assam: Abhijit Gogoi